Georgia's Official State Fiddlers' Convention
During a selected weekend of the Georgia Mountain Fall Festival, the Fairgrounds hosts Georgia’s Official State Fiddlers' Convention. Throughout this event, performers of all ages will compete in various musical categories such as senior fiddler, junior fiddler, bluegrass band, finger-style guitar, flat pick guitar, banjo and mandolin. After initial competitions, a winner will be declared in each category. Then, the winner from both the junior and senior groups will complete in a “Fiddle Off,” where that winner will be declared the “Georgia Mountain Fiddle King."
2013 Winners »
Registration and Course Events »
Registration Form »
Admission Form »
- Beginning Fiddle (15 years & younger), Junior fiddle (49 years & younger), Senior Fiddle (50 years & over) plays two (2) numbers, one fast and one slow.
- Trick or novelty tunes as well as "Black Mountain Rag," "Orange Blossom Special," and "Mockin' Bird" are not permitted and will be disqualified.
- Beginning Fiddlers may play in the Junior Fiddle category on Saturday but will forfeit entry in the Friday night Beginner Fiddle category.
- Single reed only. Harmonica players will play two (2) tunes of choice.
- Dancers are timed by an official timekeeper (one-minute routine).
- Dancers will only dance one (1) tune (No Holds Barred).
- Dancers are expected to dance to live music provided at the event and stop in time with a "shave and haircut" ending.
- Dulcimer players will play two (2) tunes of choice.
- Dobro will be interpreted as a resophonic guitar, played with a slide, not to be confused with bottle neck guitar styles played on an acoustic guitar. Dobro players will play two (2) numbers of choice.
Old Tyme Banjo
- Old tyme banjo will be interpreted as banjo played in drop-thumb or frailing fashion, not to be confused with a 3-finger or bluegrass style banjo playing.Old tyme banjo players will play two (2) numbers of choice.
- All bands will be composed of no less than 4 members and no more than 6 members.
- No drums! No electric instruments! (Excluding Electric Bass)
- Two tunes of choice in elimination (time permitting) and finals.
- No contestant can play in more than one band.
- Guitar players are expected to play one (1) tune in elimination and two (2) tunes in final competition . Finger style or flat pick style is permitted.
- Banjo players are expected to play one (1) tune in elimination and two (2) tunes during final competition.
- No discrimination in style.
- Mandolin players are expected to play one (1) tune in elimination and two (2) tunes during final competition.
Management reserves the right to change any or all of the above.
Back to top »
Registration and Course Events
Registration will open at 5:00 P.M. for individual categories until each category starts. No registration fee will be required for any event.
Registration will be open from 9:30 A.M. for individual categories until each category starts. No registration necessary for Saturday night events. No registration fee will be required for any event.
Responsibility Of The Contestant
Contestants should be present to draw for position at least 10 minutes before their registered category begins or is called.*No contestant will be permitted to register or draw for a category after competition in that category has begun. No exceptions will be made! It is the responsibility of each contestant to be ready to perform when his position is called or announced.
Contest Starting Time
Contests will begin at 7:00 P.M. Friday for single eliminations and 10:30 A.M. Saturday for preliminary eliminations, until all contestants have performed. Finals begin Saturday night at 7:00 P.M.
One (1) or two (2) accompanists may accompany instrumental contestants. Absolutely no electric instruments allowed (excluding electric bass). 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places will be selected in each category. All winners selected, as 1st place will be designated as Georgia State Champion.
- Beginning Fiddle (15 yrs. & Younger)
- Harmonica (single reed)
- Buck Dancing (no holds barred)
- Old Tyme Banjo
One (1) or two (2) accompanists may accompany all contestants, excluding bands. Absolutely no electric instruments allowed (excluding electric bass). Saturday's top four (4) finalists in each category will be selected for final competition Saturday night starting at 7:00 P.M.
- Senior Fiddle (50 hrs. & over)
- Junior Fiddle (49 yrs. & younger)
- Bluegrass Band
- Finger Style Guitar
- Flat Pick Guitar
Finalists selected will appear Saturday night, beginning at 7:00 P.M. until categories have competed, in reverse order starting with mandolin. Every finalist will play two (2) numbers in final competition. No points carry over from the preliminary eliminations. All winners selected, as 1sr place will be designated as Georgia State Champ;ion. 1st place in Senior Fiddle and Junior Fiddle will compete for Georgia Mountain Fiddle Champion.